View Single Post
kdcny

2009-01-12, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
This^^^
I'm quite certain that Apple would not produce a MacBoard simply because of all the wires needed. Certainly, power and monitor output can be combined, but what about other peripherals? It's almost inevitable that it will have at least 3-4 wires sticking out of it, and Steve wouldn't approve of that.
Well, first of all, I think the design of the EEE keyboard is really slick, and seems very Apple-esque.

And, while I don't think Apple would ever do something like this, I think you're right - Apple wouldn't approve of all the wires, which is why they wouldn't have to have any, perhaps save one (power).

Everyone has been suggesting to take the current MacBook and take away the display and the battery, but hey, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sure, take away the display, but why not leave the battery? Current Macbook internals, stacked instead of laid out flat, would still be pretty darn thin, and a thin lithium-polymer battery on the bottom would allow for, gosh, 4-5 hours of use? More? I really don't know; without the display, how much are you saving? Cut out the optical drive and you're saving even more. SSD? That's even more. Included in the package would be a wireless dongle (Bluetooth or a 802.11 variant, similar to the Nike+ kit) that you attach to your TV/display.

Like I said, I don't think Apple would ever produce such a computer, but imagine what kind of a HTPC it would be. I often sit with my laptop on a bed/chair/couch, and it's much heavier compared to the MacBooks. Having little more than a keyboard that sips power and is completely wireless would be pretty awesome. (Flashbacks to a friend's Gateway HTPC setup in 1998, with big TV/monitor, wireless keyboard + trackpad. You Don't Know Jack! felt awesome then.)