View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-06-26, 19:10

I have a 20-year-old 2.1 set of Monsoon MM-700 speakers on my main computer desk at home that I've been hesitant to replace because the audio quality has been so surprisingly good for the small form factor, but something strange has been happening in the woofer/amp over the last few years that sounds like a short or a solder joint progressively going bad. I've tried opening it up to see if I can fix it myself, but the thing is sealed shut like a bear trap. So, I've also started looking around for a modern comparable set.

The best-recommended 2.1 set I've found in the sub-$200 range so far is the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX® Certified Computer Speaker set. They're currently marked up more on Amazon ($180-220+) than direct from Klipsch ($150) for some reason. Maybe that's just because they're out of stock and back-ordered from the manufacturer right now. In any case, I haven't bought these yet, but they currently hold the top slot on my wish list, and I'm likely to jump on them before the summer is over.

I think I paid around $200 for my Monsoons back in 2000. So, at least for me, this fits within a comparable price range.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.