View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-16, 13:44

Before I exile myself from this thread as well (The Rise of Skywalker has its world premiere in Los Angeles this evening and I'm sure leaks/spoilers will be making their way out into the world starting tonight, so I just want to stay out of any SW-related threads in case someone accidentally blabs or neglects to use spoiler tags).

...it was just brought to my attention (by my sister) that The Last Jedi is currently not available on Disney+. Is this true?

If so, what would be the reason for this? Disney owns all this stuff now, correct? It's not like they're having to negotiate/haggle with Lucasfilm or some other studio for streaming/distribution rights. Can't they show any/all of this stuff, whenever they want now? I thought that was the whole point of this new service, that you'd be getting all the Disney-owned properties (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. from all the decades, live action and animated). The Last Jedi was on Netflix this past summer, and I'm sure it's been on DVD/Blu-ray for a good while, so what's the reason it isn't available on Disney+, of all weeks?

Just arbitrary "because we can" type of reasons? Or are they just going to rotate stuff in and out as well, like Netflix, basically ensuring that whatever you're truly in the mood to watch won't be available when you're craving it most?

The one SW movie, shitty as it is, that folks might be interested in watching this week to review/catch up before TROS opens, isn't there. My sister said that it shows as coming on December 26.

If the reasons aren't legal-related, then what good business/marketing angle is there that makes the previous movie not on their service the weeks/days leading up to its immediate follow-up hitting the theaters? Is that just not a weird approach? It does no good to make it available December 26 when so many people are going to see TROS this coming weekend (and might like to watch 7 and/or 8 for a refresher this week).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-16 at 13:55.