View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-08, 18:58

Ah, I just saw this at Yahoo...seems there's going to be a TV series sequel to The Silence of the Lambs, one of my favorite movies ever.

Being totally honest, I actually have no plans to watch it because I know nothing could ever top the movie and I just don't want my thoughts/memories tweaked or sullied (which always happen when I reach out too far from the thing I love and try to take in an alternate spin on it; like that awful sequel series to The Exorcist that aired on Fox a few years ago; that stupid show actually made me mad, and my eye-rolls were heard four counties away).

I hope this isn't more of the same (a cheap, easy and uninspired retread and sequel-in-name-only, just trading on the names/events of a far better movie).

It's weird it took so long. This seems like the sort of thing that would've come about five or so years after the movie hit and was so popular.

But Clarice Starling is in my top-five all-time favorite movie characters* - right alongside Matt Hooper, Marion Ravenwood, Jimmy Conway and Ellen Ripley - but I kinda have problems seeing anyone other than Jodie Foster playing her. I thought she was absolute perfection.

Still, I love the movie - and character - so much, I may tune in to the premiere, just to get a sense of how it might be.

I had no idea this was even in the works, but I'm a bit out of the entertainment loop these days.

*Despite being born and raised in the South, it wasn't until Foster's portrayal that I realized just how much I loved a Southern accent. It was the first time I realized "okay, this actually quite lovely and endearing...and I shouldn't be trying so damn hard to conceal mine." It was a neat turning point for me, that I remember to this day. I could listen to Foster, as Starling, talk non-stop for hours.