View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-09, 06:21

Thing is, I “see” Meryl Streep - and De Niro, etc. - when some of these huge, iconic actors take on the role of a famous person. Sometimes I think a lesser-known, more under-the-radar actor slides into certain roles in a way I don’t always buy when it’s a huge name doing it.

While I enjoyed The Aviator, all I saw was Leonardo DiCaprio dressed up in 40’s/50’s clothes, and not Howard Hughes. Same with Jack Nicholson in Hoffa. I only saw Nicholson in makeup, doing an accent.

It’s a balancing act...you gotta pull audiences in with someone they like to watch (it is show bu$iness, after all; not every decision gets to be of the artistic/creative type), but when the actor is as famous (or more so) than the public figure they’re portraying, there’s often a weird disconnect for me.

Maybe that’s just me and my lack of imagination.

Just from what little I’ve seen, I think I’d buy Anderson in the role more than Streep. That’s no comment on Streep’s obvious talents/abilities, of course. I just think some roles are a better fit for others. They disappear into the part better and you don’t see an “icon” play-acting.