Thread: The Witcher
View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2021-01-07, 15:54

@pscates2.0

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Is there a way to actually tag people on this board? Or "officially" denote that you're replying to a particular post without quoting it? I feel fairly confident that the "@" thing I did there is just because I've spent too much time on Twitter, and that it won't actually do anything as far as "the system" is concerned. It's been so long since I've been particularly active on a vBulletin board that I don't remember the tips & tricks. Well, aside from a last-minute, vague recollection that at some point, using "[]" instead of "<>" started making it do what I want more often than it used to (which is why this whole paragraph is correctly marked off-topic, instead of just hanging in the breeze at the substantive end of my post, like dangling lollipop, wait to ensnare fellow forum peoples who lack the self-discipline to keep threads on-topic. Peoples such as myself, and... wait, can you nest off-topic tags?
Technically yes, but you apparently have to select the text somehow to read it. This, too, triggers a vague memory...
Anyway I forgot where I was going... hold on, this is probably needs its own tags despite the potential problems
I want to go on record as saying that 1) my ADHD meds clearly haven't kicked in yet, and 2) yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect to have paragraphical parentheticals... I blame vBulletin since it's the one putting off-topic stuff in its own paragraph or section or whatever that is, which in turn has forced me to write all this other stuff to submit to the grammar DA after the grammar police come to get me. TBH, this whole thing with off-topic tags, parentheticals, and paragraphs is starting to remind me of Duff's Device, about which Duff himself said "This code forms some sort of argument in that debate, but I'm not sure whether it's for or against."
).

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.