View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-19, 20:58

Warning: Flagrant Off-Topic-ery ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
As for names, my wife has them picked out already. She's way ahead of the game for sure. Jr. if it's a boy and I can't tell you if it's a girl. Something about women not wanting to let the name get out that they want to use in case one of you have a kid and name it the name she wants to use, or something like that.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and that's exactly how I would be, too.

Not than I'm planning on having kids, or anything. But I'm already that way with the characters I write.

About five or six years ago, when I first started writing what would eventually become my current novel, I found the *perfect* name for the hero of the story - a daring pirate of eccentric mind and ambiguous sexuality. The name?

Jack Sparrowfall.

I shit you not.

Needless to say, I was extremely upset when a certain movie studio stole the name, and, um, used it for the lead character in the suprise box office hit of the summer. For a long time, I refused to see the movie, because of the imposter. Which is a shame, because when I finally did see it, it instantly became one of my favorites.

I won't tell you the name I've more or less decided on - I don't want to jinx it - but as Murphy's Law would have it, no name has ever "fit" quite so perfectly.

When I was very young, I used to imagine that somebody had snuck into my bedroom one night and implanted a "thought transmitter" into my brain, which would transmit all my (incredibly valuable) ideas, which would be sold to the highest bidder, or something.

I was a sad, strange little child.

Anyway, I digress. Congrats again, turtle. Now I'm really curious as to what other names your wife is considering, though...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong