Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2022-09-20, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
One word of warning, from what I've seen from reviewers who took the Santa Cruz with the dual clutch transmission for off road adventures, is that the dual clutch is not great for that. It was a while ago, so I don't remember why, but I konw they thought the Maverick EcoBoost AWD package was better than the dual clutch Santa Cruz when both vehicles were tested on the same paths off the pavement. One of them who later bought a Santa Cruz got the lower trim just to get the standard automatic, which they said was better for off road.
That was something I looked into. One major flaw in my opinion on those off-road tests is that they are all using the tricked out Limited trim which has 20” rims and poor grip all seasons, and don’t use appropriate drive modes (aka snow in soft, sandy conditions). No wonder the transmission seems to get mad on aggressive hill climbs in the those tests.

For my use it will be 90% normal drive mainly with some not super aggressive off-road. The Premium with the smaller 18” rims and an appropriate aggressive tire should be able to handle that.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.