Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-20, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
That was something I looked into. One major flaw in my opinion on those off-road tests is that they are all using the tricked out Limited trim which has 20” rims and poor grip all seasons, and don’t use appropriate drive modes (aka snow in soft, sandy conditions). No wonder the transmission seems to get mad on aggressive hill climbs in the those tests.

For my use it will be 90% normal drive mainly with some not super aggressive off-road. The Premium with the smaller 18” rims and an appropriate aggressive tire should be able to handle that.
Interesting, one of the reviewers (it's a truck reviewer, not a general vehicle reviewer) had it as a long term test drive, and had AT tires (Falken Wildpeak AT3 IIRC) on there for the off road test, and they tried all the drive modes. That was last fall when I was trying to decide which one to go for, so I don't remember much of the details. I have no idea what a good off-road tire is, the most I go off pavement is into campgrounds, or the odd maintained logging road, and never had issues with normal tires. Looks like you've done your due diligence though.