View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-06-22, 17:53

Photographs are often processes in finding uncommon virtue in common sights. Some of the most intimate and interesting photographs I have ever seen add a poignancy to the everyday... and what is more everyday than respiration and photosynthesis?

As most of you know I am a scientist who works on the interface between biologic understanding of respiration and photosynthesis, and the energy capture and conversion application of that knowledge. Indeed, while I am ensconced in understanding these common acts, in my every day life they have become plain -- a passing curiosity. Plants used to fascinate me, the simple act of breathing was once amazing; but they are no longer as inspiring as they should be and I need your help to regain that inspiration.

Your mission if you choose to accept it is to take a photograph in the next month (before July 23, 2010) that encapsulates what photosynthesis and/or respiration means to you. I do not want to see heavily processed photographs (no cloning, hdr, etc) as submissions, but I am willing to accept minor touch ups as long as the original is included. If some of the technically astute photographers want to provide photographs that go beyond this guideline in support of their formally complacent submission, that is perfectly acceptable.

Very good photographs will include both respiration and photosynthesis; but the best (even those including only respiration or photosynthesis) will surprise me. I want you to stretch your photography palettes; give me stories not snapshots...

Good luck!

-Bruce

PS I will hold off on providing an image matching these criteria until the end so as not to bias your thinking...