View Single Post
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-03-05, 16:01

We got some great entries this month, it has been really hard to chose a winner.

In torifile's shot, I like the extreme contrast. The one part of the face looks like a highkey shot, although the rest is lowkey

arteggio emphasizes the screen by hiding the body of the phone in the shadows. The blue/yellow contrast of the buttons is a nice bonus

PB PM's entry is a classic back light shot. It reminded me of a similar picture which I took a while ago.

As ShadowOfGed didn't mention which of his three pictures was meant as contest entry, I take the last one: A beautiful scene with high contrast between the glare in the pool and the frame of dark trees. (Not to mention the contrast between the fast moving water and the static rocks...)

When I saw Chinneys photo, I first thought it was just a variant of torifiles idea, until I scrolled further down and saw the skull. Apart from the great use of the directed light to emphasize the subjects, I love this contrast between the beautiful young girl which is full of life and the skull as a reminder of the transientness of everything.

Finally Dorian Grays picture: Again, I had to look closer. First I just saw the innocent still life on the table until my eyes fell on the deadly weapon on the chair. It immediately changed the context and raises questions: What is going on here? Is the red stuff on the cup just lipstick or something else? ...

Winner: Dorian Gray
Runner Up: Chinney

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin