View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-08-17, 20:48

Show Me Your Neighbourhood

For this challenge, I want you to find a view in your neighbourhood that portrays in a definitive or iconic way the area where you live. It could be a landscape picture, it could be a street view, it could be a photo of a building, it could be a ‘people’ shot, or anything else as long as it fits somehow within the above definition. It could be a beautiful shot, it could be a gritty shot, or it could just be a fun shot, as long, again, as it meets the criteria. A written explanation of your picture is optional: welcome, but not necessary. I want to be able to understand or feel something about where you live.

The technical rules are as usual: all entries must be taken with the contest period; no heavy photoshopping or other alterations. Otherwise, all photos welcome. The contest period runs until midnight, Pacific North American time, Sunday, September 25.

To give an idea, here is something that I would post (if I could make an entry) that could meet my criteria (except, obviously, not being taken within the contest period). This is a photo of my son setting out for a late-afternoon skate on the Rideau Canal - world's largest skating rink - that cuts right through our area, with the picture itself having been taken about 500m from our house. The Canal almost certainly would be viewed as the definitive geographic feature of the neighbourhood and affects the area and those who live here in a number of ways.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.