View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-16, 01:52

As the title says, we are now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

With two small exceptions: I've disabled the Forestry and Extra Bees mods. I wasn't able to completely reproduce the horrible laggy issues that I experienced last weekend when I was testing the server, but I did find that these mods in particular added an extra bit of noticeable lag when navigating the world. Fortunately, it looks like the Feed the Beast client gracefully handles when the server has disabled mods that the client still has installed. So, it looks like you shouldn't have to do anything to the modpacks on your systems to join the server once you get FTB working.

So, getting started with Feed the Beast!

It's pretty easy. Go here and hit the "Download jar" link:

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/#download_wrapper

Once you've downloaded it and put it somewhere for safe keeping, fire up the Terminal app, and type:

Code:
nohup java -jar
Add a space after the word "jar", and then drag and drop the jar file from wherever you put it into the Terminal window. It should autocomplete the full path to the file. On my system, it looks like this:

Code:
nohup java -jar /Users/bradsmith/Desktop/Minecraft/FTB-Client/FTB_Launcher.jar
Then punch enter and the launcher should start up! You can then safely close/quit the Terminal if you don't want to look at it.

I think the first time you open it (it's been a while since I first did this), the launcher asks you where it should put its files. I let it put the files in the folder where I keep the jar file. You can change this later from the Options tab (the "Install folder" option).

Now, from the launcher screen:

• Click the Modpacks tab at the top.
• Select the "Direwolf20 Pack (v5.0.1) Minecraft Version 1.4.7" from the modpack list in the left panel.
• Choose "Create Profile" from the menu next to the Launch button.
• Enter your Minecraft username and password and give the profile a name.
• Be sure that the profile you created is selected in that menu.
• Click Launch!

The next time you start up the launcher (using the "nohup java -jar ..." Terminal command), you can go straight to the Launch button. The launcher should close, and then it should look and behave largely like the Minecraft you know and love. You'll need to add "mc.applenova.com" back to your multiplayer server list because each modpack keeps its own settings.

I'm too tired now to stick around to play tonight, but I'll be around over the weekend. If you have questions or issues, please post them here and we'll work them out!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.