Thread: Go RVing
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-08, 12:24

Well, I got my new batteries installed and this weekend we are taking the trailer out for go #2. I installed 2 BattleBorn 100Ah batteries, a 2000W Energizer inverter, and a dual-plug 12v charger with 2 USB ports and a 12v socket which is connected directly to the battery. Now, even when not connected to shore power, we will have enough juice to run the C-PAP with a 12v power supply, a coffee maker, and other such things, as well as the normal power needs. I also got a 3500W generator and a 200W solar panel. I have yet to test the generator and the solar panel (weather has been less than ideal) but hope to get to that tonight or tomorrow. I am also going to figure out some sort of water-proof cover for that so it can ride in the back of the truck.

I removed the stock lead-acid battery from the tongue and built a new box inside the storage bay for the new batteries, and then replaced the old battery box with a double-wide box and am using it to hold all the miscellaneous sewer bits* (adapters, clean-out hose, etc.). We'll see how that goes, but it keeps all of that stuff out of the trailer storage.

By the way, if any of you have need for consistent power beyond just the normal stuff (say, for a C-PAP), I highly recommend Power Station from Jackery. I bought one—and the 100W companion Solar Saga panel—to make absolutely certain that the C-PAP had power. If you have any need for stable, clean, renewable power while out and about, I highly recommend these two products. Very well crafted, easy to set up and use, and they seem quite durable. It worked, and it worked well. I have the 500W system, and it was able to power the C-PAP for 9 hours from it's built-in inverter, and 12 hours+ from the 12v (we didn't have the 12v adapter our first time out, but we got one and tested it from home. The 12v adapter seems to do about 20% better not having to convert and waste power as heat). The 100W solar panel was able to recharge the 500W system in about 8-9 hours in mostly good sun. We used the system for 3 nights and had to recharge twice (the first charge was at home). The Power Station came with a 110v transformer and a 12v adapter. The Solar Saga came with all the necessary connecty bits, and also has a built-in 2.1A USB-A socket, and a 3A USB-C socket. We tested the USB connector recharging iPhones and such, which obviously cut down on the available wattage to recharge the Power Station, but it was only by a few watts and maybe added 15-20 minutes to the general recharge time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The support jacks on our motorhome are manual cranks, so I don't know what kind of power draw that would have. Given that it would likely be a hydraulic system, it could draw a fair bit of power. A short causing a fuse being blown could be an issue for sure.

I one of the biggest points of draw down I've seen in the past would be the water pump, like if you had long showers, or if a tap was left ever so slightly on. Either would cause the pump to stay on for a long time. Of course in the latter case you'd hear the pump, and start looking, but I don't know how loud the newer units are. Usually fans, like the stove hood fan or ceiling fans are very low draw, our solar panel has no trouble at all staying ahead of that.
Our support jacks are manual, but the tongue jack is electric with a manual backup. Also, the water pump was only running when called upon. I am convinced that the trouble was two-fold: 1) There was a short in the tongue jack fuse that drew the battery down; and 2) the stock Lead Acid battery wasn't all that special. Both of those problems have been dealt with, and this weekend will tell whether or not I'm crazy, as I plan to run all kinds of random crap just to see what the new system can handle.

Hopefully, I don't burn the joint to the ground!

* The main sewer hose is in the rear bumper.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-06-08 at 12:44.