Thread: PS5 Reveal
View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2020-06-23, 15:04

I'm not saying that an ARM-powered Mac Pro would be underpowered compared to a $500 or $600 PS5. Apple would not ditch x86 if they didn't have something good lined up to replace it.

What I am saying, though, is that if Apple releases a new game console (or an updated Apple TV with a greater focus on gaming, which is probably more likely), the hardware inside that won't be able to compete with a PS5 or Xbox Series X. It runs on a different architecture so porting games won't be as easy. Then again, the Nintendo Switch is ARM-based and gets a decent number of cross platform games (albeit with greatly reduced detail and resolution compared with the "big" consoles).

I could see something like that filling a niche for people who want a less expensive console for playing mostly indie games and a few big AAA games that get ported.

But it requires lots of work to make the deals and bring games to the platform - lots of games, at a steady rate. Apple has tried a few times to talk up gaming and they have always seemingly lost interest quickly. If someone is going to buy a $200 device plus $60 for a controller, plus the cost of games, they're going to want to know that the platform isn't going to die in a year. This is the reason Google Stadia has struggled; Google just can't convince people that they won't abandon the service after a year or two.