View Single Post
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-19, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGruv
Another pan in the fire...any thoughs on OLED displays that should hit in '05? too costly at first?
Problems:

1. $$$
2. $$$
3. $$$
4. Life of the display will be too short

I wasn't aware OLEDs were really ready for the big time yet. They have them on some smaller phone screens right now, but I thought that was about it. I could be wrong, but I believe when they come out they'll be more expensive than is really worth it. It's the same as LCD tech, give it a year or two and let the prices come down to where it's manageable.

Theoretically, OLED displays are gonna be incredible. Relatively cheap to produce, great resolutions, incredible brightness, unbeatable lifespan...all the things you want in a display. But they won't be great for at least another few years.

There is a newer display out (a 20 or 23") by someone (I forgot who ) that uses LEDs as the backlight, if I were you, I'd check that out. LEDs have unbeatable life on them. That's a huge drawback of LCDs is that the backlight is essentially just a florescent light, short lifespan, not all that great light, and somewhat uneven in some cases.

So if I were you, I'd just bite the bullet on a 20" if you think you can't afford the 23", it's an incredible display, best on the market. Than 5 years down the road when OLEDs are falling to a level that normal people can afford, jump on that than.

Good luck

Come waste your time with me