View Single Post
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-03-10, 14:29

My sister sings professionally. She has taken countless hours of voice training lessons, tons of control exercises, warm-ups, etc. I think people consider singing like they see most other art talents, that you either have "it" or you don't. (Actually people thin kthe same thing about math it seems.) Of course there's talent, but if you don't train and work hard to develop refine and keep in physical and mental shape for it, you won't be your best. At the same time, people with otherwise ordinary talents can surpass those with natural gifts if they do these things while the talent simply coasts on what they have. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

I think the singing style pushed on American Idol, called melismatic, is horrible and it isn't indicative what what many professionals, artists and other singers would consider good singing. There isn't a best way to sing, just like there isn't a best way to paint of course. Anyway, just because you can hit 18 notes in each syllable of a song doesn't mean you should, and it doesn't really prove you have control of your voice, rather it can mask a lack of control.