View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-20, 05:37

The other thing I noticed was a large clock speed reduction. The 2019 models all had a 1.6GHz i5. These new ones give you a choice but they’re all 1.1GHz i3 or i5 (1.2GHz if you get the i7).

I’ can’t recall Apple having a 500MHz reduction like this in a new model of the same machine.

Not up on all the tech and inner workings of the various generations of Intel processors, so do other processor/chip improvements and specs kinda make up for this or are the 2020 noticeably slower/less powerful than the 2019 models in the way 1.6 -> 1.1 would appear via casual glance?

Apple is big on the “giveth/taketh away” thing...for every 2-3 things they give (new keyboard, doubled storage, lower price), they offset it somewhere else. Does this help account for that $100 price drop? I wonder if most folks would’ve been okay with the previous pricing if even the $1,099 base model had the 1.6GHz i5? Or is such a thing not really noticeable in typical “non-pro” day-to-day use (surfing, emailing, iTunes, etc.)?