View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-03-20, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The other thing I noticed was a large clock speed reduction. The 2019 models all had a 1.6GHz i5. These new ones give you a choice but they’re all 1.1GHz i3 or i5 (1.2GHz if you get the i7).

I’ can’t recall Apple having a 500MHz reduction like this in a new model of the same machine.

Not up on all the tech and inner workings of the various generations of Intel processors, so do other processor/chip improvements and specs kinda make up for this or are the 2020 noticeably slower/less powerful than the 2019 models in the way 1.6 -> 1.1 would appear via casual glance?
So strictly speaking, we don't know yet; there are no independent benchmarks for this CPU yet.

But the answer is probably yes: the improvements do make up for it.

Also, Ice Lake does have very low clock speeds, and that looks bad. But in the long run it's a good thing: it gives them headroom again to make performance better over the years (with the previous 14nm CPUs, they were hitting 5 GHz, and while that sounds good on paper, it also you're hitting physical limits).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Apple is big on the “giveth/taketh away” thing...for every 2-3 things they give (new keyboard, doubled storage, lower price), they offset it somewhere else. Does this help account for that $100 price drop? I wonder if most folks would’ve been okay with the previous pricing if even the $1,099 base model had the 1.6GHz i5? Or is such a thing not really noticeable in typical “non-pro” day-to-day use (surfing, emailing, iTunes, etc.)?
Get the i5! The i3 isn't bad, but the $100 are very much worth it. That upgrade is easily worth $250, if you ask me.

Last edited by chucker : 2020-03-20 at 10:33.