Thread: 2016 Olympics
View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-10-02, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Are you serious? It was always between Paris and London for 2012, always - and Paris was considered the favorite until the very end. From Wikipedia:

"Paris was widely regarded as the firm favourite to become the host city of the 2012 Olympics, considering it lost out on its previous bids for the 1992 and the 2008 Summer Olympics to Barcelona and Beijing, respectively."

"New York City was never seen as a front-runner, and its chances for getting the Games were hurt after Canada secured the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia."

NYC was eliminated in the second round of voting, after Moscow and before Madrid. NYC's chances were never good, even without the Winter Games being hosted on the same continent two years prior.

Also: Denver will probably never host the Olympics, ever. (They bid for the Olympics in 1976 and were awarded the Games, and then later declined them, enraging the IOC.)
Thank you for the history lesson, I am well aware of the events preceding NYC2012's bid. And quoting Wikipedia with a quote like that isn't exactly unbias. The days leading up to the decision there was the same swell of support and hope for the NYC bid that Chicago had gone through. I shouldn't have to point out that NYC at least made it to the 2nd round, unlike Chicago, so that right there kind of suggests that NYC was at least as strong, and arguably a stronger candidate.

Also, despite their 4th place ranking, I don't think anyone honestly didn't think Rio was the frontrunner here so it really doesn't matter if London/Madrid were considered frontrunners for 2012.

I'm also aware of Denver's history with the IOC. It doesn't negate its (and Colorado's) importance and rank in the world of winter sports.