View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-24, 09:44

I just had a goofy thought, kinda bridging the current SE and a possible full-face one down the road (especially if it didn't happen until 2024, two-plus years from now).

Hear me out (and then ridicule the notion)...

Would Apple go through the design/manufacturing hassle, as they've done with various iPhones over the years (see next paragraph), to do a small cosmetic redesign/refresh on the upcoming 2022 SE? It would still be a 4.7" model with the home button and all, but doing away with the rounded sides of the iPhone 8 body and adopting the squared-off banding of the iPhone 12/13 (or iPhone 4/5, if you wanna get technical/pedantic about it).

There is precedent for one-off/one-generation-only iPhone models over the years: the original 2007 only stuck around a year and the ice cream-colored 5c was a one-and-done thing. I know the 6/6s/7/8 basically shared the same design over four years, but I don't know enough about the X/Xs and the 11. If the 11 was a bit different than the X and Xs before it, and we know the 12 changed to the squared edges, that would make the iPhone 11 a one-off/one-generation design. So they have done it before, at least two times (and possibly a third). And I just remembered the Xr model (my Mom has that). Isn't that different from the X/Xs a bit? If so, it only stuck around one year. Or was it different in naming only?

That slight change in style/appearance, plus the addition of the A15 and 5G, both strongly rumored/expected (Apple has indeed, twice before, put the current flagship processor into a new SE model...the original in 2016 and the current model in 2020), would make an interesting, new design...that size has never been inside a 4/5/12/13 chassis design before. If they did so, it would probably mean they intend to keep it around for two full years and not go to another redesign until 2024. And that's fine. But it refreshes the SE, after two years, in a subtle way that, taken with those other two things - latest processor and cellular radio - really might appeal to those who can't bring themselves to shell out flagship prices ($699) for a phone.

Also, that flat, squared-off edge could allow for slightly roomier inside and maybe even a big larger battery? Isn't drastic, but they'd be able to use all that internal space more efficiently without the rounded, curved edges, right? Stuff could go right up to the edges. If you took that top and bottom curve area, multiplied by the distance around the phone itself, that has to add up to a bit of space?

Or does it make more sense to just stick with the iPhone 8 body style for another 1-2 years, until a true, proper third-generation SE comes out? Probably so, but there's just enough "well they've kinda created a 'quickie' model before...".

As someone who owned an iPhone 4 and 5 - and the current first-generation SE, based on the iPhone 5s - I love that squared-off, banded edge vs. the rolled, round edge of the iPhone 6/7/8/X/11. It seems more secure in the hand, that flat edge. Any time I've picked up/used a case-less 6/7/8/X/11 variant, it practically wants to jump out of my hand...those round edges want to slide against my palm and not stay put as easily as the 4/5/12/13 styles.

Thoughts?

Just to be clear, and for the record: I really don't think it would happen, but, if it did, it would be a nice little surprise, and bring the SE body, even without the full-face look, in line with the 12/13 flagships and their edge treatment/design. In my gut, I just don't see Apple putting that sort of short-term effort/payoff into their $399 "budget" model, but as I was using my SE this morning I thought "we've never seen this design - a home button iPhone - with a display larger than 4".

It would be just like the current SE, but just an updated edge.

A complete waste of money, time and resources, right?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-24 at 10:11.