View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-08, 08:28

I started loving using docker compose to build containers on my NAS. There are some services running in an ubuntu VM right now that connect to my NAS via NFS and CIFS. If I can run those on the NAS in a container it relieves the network traffic for those files managed by the apps.

This is all well and good until the OOMs started happening.

I woke up this morning to my NAS being non-responsive as of ~0100. I had to hard bounce it. It recovered but I did leave, a java app is not a good candidate for the NAS even in a container.

Really, the issue is I have only 4GB RAM in the NAS and should have closer to 16 or even 32GB. I was swapping and all. Just not pretty.

HOWEVER!!!! The ability to run containers with a simple command and be able to use the GUI for basic restarts and stuff was great. I did move three of my most disk intense apps over to the NAS with stability so far so those will stay and the ubuntu server will remain active with the java based app and another that is just a memory hog.

Even still, not as good as it could be:
Code:
$ free -m total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 3888 3170 138 22 580 415 Swap: 4383 2523 1860
Don't be cheap on your RAM for whatever NAS you get if you plan to do more than just basic network file sharing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.