View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-12, 10:55

I agree with 709, so the Love or Hate Trump bullshit has been moved over to the Love or Hate Trump bullshit thread.

β€”

Regarding the euthanasia topic, I have no trouble allowing people to die when they are suffering, nor do I have any trouble aiding in their comfort. On this topic, I can speak from very personal experience. My son, Timathy, was born with cerebral palsy and had severe complications related to that. At 7 1/2, his body had worn itself out, and we allowed him to die. He stopped eating, he could no longer keep water down, and he simply died. The truth is β€”and with he aid of our hospice nurse β€” we administered some concoction that aided in his comfort so that he wasn't fighting a fight he didn't even understand. The concoction was a sedative that allowed his body to relax so that he could stop fighting. Without it, his pure instinct kept fighting against itself and he suffered. So, I get it β€” believe me!

But there is no way in hell I would have ever "euthanized" him. Not on your life!

Dying when your body is done and killing yourself because you don't want to fight any more are very different things. But, I will not stand in your suicidal way. If you don't want to carry on any longer, go ahead and off yourself. That's on you. What I will never get on board with, however, is granting permission to the government to start killing people they don't want around any longer, or handing death-pills to people who aren't thinking clearly. This line of Hitlerian thinking might start off with good intentions, but our social-media-addicted, violence-prone, asshole society is in no way prepared to be making those decisions for people, even if those people aren't able to make the decision for themselves.

There is no way this ends well. There will be golden estates that get inherited when mom is euthanized; there will be happy wives who get hubby's fortune when that drugged-up "jerk" was dumb enough to give his cheating wife the legal capacity to off him in his hospital bed; there will be governments that want/need to cut health-care spending; there will be parents with disabled children whose time-consuming needs get too tiring.

There is absolutely nothing anyone on these boards or IRL who can convince me that assisted suicide is a good thing. Ever.

But, if all y'all want to have a discussion about keeping suffering people comfortable, then I'm all ears.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-08-12 at 11:19.