View Single Post
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-02-19, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I wish that would be true, but apparently it isn't, in view of Xaqtly's experience.
True: The Automatic-only licence is for people who exchange their licence because they've become residents of the UK. You are allowed to drive a manual on a US licence if you're just a visitor. (But if you get into an accident and admit that you had no experience of a manual vehicle, you're likely to have insurance problems.)

Quote:
The online-booking process for UK rental cars that I'm familiar with didn't mention anything about automatic-transmissions being available, and there was no place during the booking process to ask a question about that. So you're booking blind, in terms of this hugely important feature.
Which company are you using? We used to use Enterprise a lot, and they definitely allow you to specify automatic. If the company you're using doesn't allow for it on the website, do call the customer service number and be 100% sure.

Quote:
Well, I was looking in the "C" range of cars, which was the highest price range I was considering. If I had been able to find out for 'sure' that the "D" range provided automatics, I guess I'd have sprung for that, in view of the fact that one's life is at stake, imo.
Enterprise used to do automatics in every class from B upwards.

Quote:
I would hope that too. It just seems such an incredible hazard to take already-crowded summer roads and add in the odd foreigner who is unfamiliar with driving the car and the roads. Xaqtly did well, it appears; but I'm speaking of so many others who might not fare so well (like myself ).
I suspect you'll adapt really quickly. In my experience, North America has a higher number of crazy drivers...but the UK has an antiquated road system - basically it's no worse, just different. My girlfriend (a Canadian) was perfectly fine after a couple of days.

Quote:
Xaqtly, thank you so *very* much for your wonderfully complete answer to everything I asked. I am very grateful for your time and effort.

I was just looking at the first pic you posted, and was wondering where one would pull off the road if they had a flat tire? Is there enough room to change a tire on that grassy verge? It's hard to tell how wide it is.
Many roads will be too narrow for stuff like that - but there are occasional parts where they widen as stopping places. All of the Motorways (Freeways) have a hard shoulder the entire way along.

Quote:
Also, a question to you Brits, do you guys have anything like AAA over there, where a member can call for assistance to get a tire changed? And if so, do you know whether a foreign visitor could get a membership?

(AAA is the American Automobile Association, and provides emergency assistance to motorists with memberships.)
Well, we have the original AA, and the RAC. But you should have breakdown coverage included in your car rental, if it's a reputable company.