View Single Post
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-02-20, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Well, I spent years driving a manual, but not for some time. I imagine my shifting skills would perk right up again. But I'd rather get an automatic if I could. However, I think someone mentioned once that there aren't all that many automatic-transmission cars in the UK to begin with. Is that true?
They're certainly much less common. Say, maybe 10% of cars are auto. Generally more expensive ones.

Quote:
Are you speaking of Enterprise in the UK, or in North America?
UK. I really like them - good service and nice cars.

Quote:
I see these movies set in the English countryside, with cars driving fast down these roads that look like one-lane roads (I mean, one lane 'total', not one lane in each direction), with lots of curves and bends, and who knows when a car will be coming from the other direction. But maybe that's just in the movies.
Oh, they're real, all right. Try to avoid "B" roads. (All UK roads are numbered. M6, A5, B5209 etc. M roads are motorways. A roads vary from dual carriageways - two lanes in each direction - to single carriageways but are generally in good condition and well signposted. B roads go down from there, and can include single-file roads with sparse crossing places, twisting all over and in poor repair.)