View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-25, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
That said, an iMac looks far slicker, and is slicker in some ways. For example, when I put my Mac mini to sleep I have to switch off my display manually at the same time as clicking "Sleep" in the Apple menu. If the computer is already sleeping when I switch off the display, the press of the display's power button wakes it up again. And if I switch off the display before sleeping the computer, I can't see where to click "Sleep". Little things like that make the iMac a more integrated, hassle-free solution.
That sounds frustrating.

My Sony TV automatically goes to sleep (after about a minute) when I put my Mac mini to sleep, and it wakes up when I wake up my Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Whether a TV would work well as a computer display is another matter. I suspect it would be a nightmare to calibrate and colour profile!
My TV works well enough for me, but I imagine I'm less picky than you are.

What really weirds me out is the size of JerseyThursday's display. I couldn't imagine using a 37" screen at typical computer viewing distances. Also, assuming it is a TV, it's probably not above 1080p resolution, so the pixels will be huge. My TV is 19" and an unusual-for-TVs 1440x900 resolution, so that part's fine (though not quite as good as the 20" iMac of the time).

The combo has served me well, but I'm planning on jumping to an iMac when I upgrade. I'd really like to eliminate the cable mess connecting my mini to my TV, and I'd want to upgrade my screen anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if the next iMac starts at $999 — there's an edu model available at that price now, and Apple has a history of bringing edu-only all-in-ones to the public after a few months. And I'm expecting them to ditch the optical drive, too.

$999 for a 21.5" Apple all-in-one with a wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad would be a steal, IMO — even if that model had shitty graphics.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong