View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-02, 20:55

I just think everyone is overloaded right now and I think the brand is tainted a bit, overall. I've actually heard - in real life and on comment/message boards around the Internet - people saying "another one?" or "man, they're just milking this crap", etc. I really don't think anyone's all that impressed or taken with the franchise at the moment. I think a few years out of the multiplex would be wise, just to let things fade/soften a bit, let true fans miss it a bit, etc. Casual fans probably don't differentiate between the saga installments and the standalone things, so no matter what they might be planning as we speak, I think Star Wars, in general, is just a bit of a bad taste too many. I've heard/read way more negativity about the property then not these past few years.

Coming back in two years and beating people over the head with unasked-for yearly releases of half-realized, empty dreck isn't going to fix/improve anything.

And I think they need to return to springtime releases again. Something about Star Wars in December is just...off. It's having to compete with too much, IMO.

I'm not saying "don't do anything"...to help build the Disney+ thing, I think they should be putting their focus there, on Mandalorian type things set in/around a familiar universe. I'm not nuts about the return of Obi-Wan, even though Ewan McGregor is always solid and fun to watch (and was the best part of the prequels). But I think they'd have a better shot of trying out true departures - characters, planets, villains, etc. we've never heard of - on the TV side than to jump right into a $200M feature film (or new theatrical trilogy). I think that part of Star Wars needs to cool its heels for a few years, for all sorts of reasons.

Then come back when a) folks have missed it a little, and b) there's a solid, good reason to do so (a new story that is truly well-written, mapped out, isn't hinging solely on fan-service/tribute band approach, etc. Because if all they're looking to do is repeat this sequel trilogy (in tone, laziness, unoriginality, etc.), then they're up a tree, and screwed. Because I truly don't think that's what people are looking for.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-01-03 at 12:00.