View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-01-03, 09:25

Few may support it because it has been associated with "government regulation" which they think will f*ck them over, or at least be f*cked up. On the other hand, a lot of people are angry (really angry, at least here in Canada) with the big telcoms, whom they assume have been f*cking them over and will continue to f*ck them over. People, regardless of political stripe, will be even more angry when the particular service they want to access gets throttled back to help promote services offered by the telcoms that they don't want to access.

All of this is related to larger political trends. People have every right to be angry with bad government. And we have had bad government. In Canada I would give our governments of various political stripes about a C for their performance over the past 20 years. I would give the U.S. governments about a D. I would give the U.K. governments maybe a C-. (Feel free to fill in ratings for other countries). All those ratings might be a bit generous. So I can understand why people are reluctant to endorse government regulation.

My view though is that in a complex society, government has a very important role to play. We are not homesteading on our own on the frontier anymore. The solution is better government, not no government. Anger is understandable, but blind anger and rejection of government is not a productive political trend. At the core, the government is us - or at least it should be.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.