View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-05, 04:01

I lean more towrad Ebby's point of view personally. The sheen of the new kid on the block is wearing out and even though Google offers some great services, they face a potential backlash when people strart receiving unsolicited SMSs on their phone telling them of a local sale, for example. Targeted advertising is better than spam no doubt - but if it is unsolicited in the first place it is not too far removed from junk mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Well, it could be because google doesn't seem to resort to any unsavory tactics to win heart and mind. Their typical business formula thus far has been essentially "take a service that other companies offer for a price, improve on it, offer it for free" What's not to like?
Whilst the service is great and free ... I think people won't like to realise they have been duped. Yes, you and I know what is going on. However, the majority of the unsuspecting public probably have no idea just how much personal info Google (and MSN & Yahoo for that matter) are ammassing - all in the name of bolstering their bottom line. I'm sure your gMail accounts provide Google with a wealth of info and advertising related data ... I just hope they're not tracking gTalk as well - presently there are no ads on it.

This is an alarmist comment but it has the beginnings of Big Brother about it.

One more thing ... have to fix a typo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Well once google can prove to the world that they can data farm everything ... then they can sell advertising.