View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
That is awesome Brad! Nice to see this really coming together. Let me know if you need more resources for any reason. We should be good but it depends on what you run on the VM. Currently there are 2 cores and 4GB of RAM. I have plenty of headway in both areas right now without the map server building.
Thanks!

I just had to do three "minor" things to that VM:
Code:
sudo yum install python36 sudo yum install git sudo pip install pipenv
The code I've written is all in Python, but it pulls in a bunch of pypi dependencies. So, I also installed pipenv to manage those dependencies in a local virtual environment (in my home directory) so it doesn't pollute up the system with crap that nothing else needs. I installed git just because all my stuff is in git repos, and it's so much easier to "git pull" if I make changes instead of downloading and exploding tarballs. Happy to show you how any of it works if you're ever interested.

Thankfully, my code seems to be pretty light in terms of resource demands. It only ever looks at one region at a time (including its constituent 1024 "16x16" chunks), and although it does have to parse and load all of the region's data and chunks' data into memory when working on it, we're probably talking on the order of tens of megabytes, maybe a hundred for a region that's packed to the gills with stuff... but nothing too crazy. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually profiled this, but running the commands to export or import biome data on a region takes ~20 seconds, and that's fast enough for me that I haven't really put any thought into profiling.)

So, I think we should be doing plenty well on the resources front!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.