View Single Post
lustiouss

2006-02-14, 00:17

torifile, I've been using a iMac 20" for the past year. Keep in mind that I am coming from a PRO user POV. I develop and design Audio, RIA, and Web Apps. Additionally, I have two other boxes that run Debian and Ubuntu, and another running XP. Note, I also watch DVD's directly on the iMac.

The iMac 20" was my 'switch' to the Mac platform and have been quite happy with my purchase. Yes, I could have went for the G5 desktop however, I choose the iMac instead. Why? AIO, screen real estate, portability and yes I'm a sucker for good design. Does any of this say that I am just a consumer target? (onlyafterdark) – no, case of, can only purchase a product that is being offered till it “gets much better”.

I'll be honest with you on the size factor too. I'm no longer a virgin -- the 20" is now comparable to a regular sized screen for me.

Here comes the kicker, why not a larger display, why not an AIO geared towards the PRO user, why just a desktop, why fall short on expandability? These are just questions I have from time to time (MacRonin, this isn't meant to be a design contest of any sort), I have needs like everyone else, don’t I, but more importantly, I'm sure that there "IS" a real market for high powered AIO for the PRO user if of course given the right balance to include expandability and upgradeability as Banana mention. Call me crazy but quite honestly, I could not fathom any other company taking this on, more so than Apple.

I ask, is it really far fetched to attain a PRO user machine, which may be some what a spin-off from the iMac? After all we have iBooks/PowerBooks/MacPro's. Who beside myself -- with my aforementioned usage would utilize a product like this if available on the market, whether that be today, a year or two from now?

Lastly, I think that the iMac’s are heading in a great direction and I see a lot of potential with that concept. Things could really get more interesting.