View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-14, 10:10

Yeah, that's not what an iMac is for, lustiouss. You should be looking at towers and the standalone displays if you're truly requiring those professional features (expansion, upgradeability, etc.).

The iMac just isn't designed with that in mind.

Now that's NOT saying the iMac isn't a kick-butt, more-than-capable computer (we use them at my job and they're awesome: I'm doing "professional" print work with the Adobe CS2 software day-in and day-out).

But we don't require the things chucker lists, so we knew it was a better, smarter purchase for us (and coming off of 400-800MHz G4 towers, it's still a HUGE leap for us).

You say:

Quote:
AIO, screen real estate, portability and...good design
That's the iMac, as is! Well, three of them anyway. As for "screen real estate", remember: these new Intel iMacs have DVI out and allow for spanning, so if it's screen real estate you're big on (and it sounds like that's the major factor for you), you can get a separate, large-as-you-want display and have it sitting beside the iMac.

But I have to say: I'm nothing but pleased with the 20" iMac's 1680x1050. Every day I come in and sit behind it, it's like I'm in a movie theater!

The day Apple releases a 30" iMac is the day I...well, I don't know.

I could almost imagine them doing a 23" model (just to be cute and get some geek applause), but it'll probably cost $2,000 or so. Who is going to spend $2,500 (or much higher, most likely) on a 30" AIO?

Nobody I know...