View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-02-12, 09:55

We soon will be buying a second computer - an iMac G5 to add to our iMac G3 - and will likely set up a wireless home network to connect the two computers and to allow my wife's Wintel PC laptop to connect wirelessly to our high-speed internet connection.

Networking is a new thing for me. I have learned a bit reading these forums and my OS X 'Missing Manual', but still feel pretty unknowledgeable. My main objectives in home networking are sharing our broadband connection and a printer, while allowing my wife's Windows laptop to hook up, on occasion, wirelessly. My main worry is any slowdown in internet access by any of the computers due to wireless networking (I am impatient on the internet).

Here is my proposed set up:

- I will connect a wireless router - 802.11g - to my high-speed modem.
- I will connect the G3 to the wireless router via cable (ethernet, I assume). The G3 does not currently have an Airport card, and even if I bought one it would - I understand - only have 802.11b capability, which could slow down my internet connection if I connected the G3 wirelessly and even, I have read, slow down the whole wireless network.
- I will have the G5 equipped with an Airport Extreme card and network the G5 wirelessly.
- I assume I will also be able to wirelessly network my wife's PC laptop - equipped with 802.11b, only unfortunately - on occasion when needed.
- I would connect the printer to the wireless router to be my 'network' printer.

Will this work or am I on the wrong track? Also, a couple of other questions:

- What is my best bet for a wireless router for this purpose. Airport Base Station? Airport Express? Third-party router?

- Will my G5 connected wirelessly -802.11g - to my broadband modem maintain the speedy internet connection that I want and expect?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.