View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-02-12, 13:25

Thanks for the advice and links. Anything more from others would be welcome too.

It looks like my proposed set up would work, but I would need a router such as the Airport Base station with the appropriate two ethernet ports. Thanks g. There may be other, cheaper routers in addition to the Airport Base Station that do this, but some of the links seem to indicate that the Apple solution is easier to configure and might be more reliable. I will take a look at the Netgear too.

I realize as well that other routers - even Express - would work if I just want the single ethernet port. But then I would need to equip my G3 with Airport, both adapter and card, and that looks expensive and still has me only connected on the slower wireless protocol for that computer..

Thanks for the tip about running the printer from the computer USB with printer sharing. That could make things easier if I were to buy a router without the USB port. I realize that the printer-linked computer must be "on", but does "on" include "on" but asleep? We never turn our computer off, but we do put it into sleep mode.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2005-02-12 at 13:44.