View Single Post
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2008-04-17, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Mitochondrial warps in the Space Time Continuum as caused by Greenhouse Emissions from Clairvoyant Woodland Creatures in sub-Saharan Africa. Totally impenetrable from a logic standpoint.

How did you know??

My thesis is titled: "The Buck Stops Where? The United States, Great Britain, the United Nations, and the Question of Responsibility for Palestine." I examined Anglo-American attitudes and actions toward Palestine through the lens of FDR's Four Policemen idea. Basically, I argued that originally, both the U.S. and Great Britain were happy with leaving the British in charge of Palestine, but following WWII, the British no longer wanted to deal with the situation, but the U.S. didn't really want to take over either, which then led to the failure of the UN's partition plan in 1948. I'm in the History program, in case you couldn't tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
Congrats! How long were you going? What was your topic? Any tips on motivating yourself (from a prospective thesis-writer daunted by the fact his two older brothers crapped out (not that they're doing badly...))?
It was a 2-year program. As for advice, I'd recommend trying to set up your schedule so that you only have to take one class your last semester and can then devote yourself to writing. I only had to take a writing seminar (which was basically a class where you wrote a paper - we only met for the first 2 weeks of the semester and then the last month) and the class I TA'd for. Also, try to set aside a day or two a week where you aren't working on it, so that you can catch your breath. Even if you love your topic, you can get really frustrated with it when you're working non-stop on it.

And now, after a year's break, I will be going back for my PhD...time to start the insanity all over again!