View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-04, 20:40

Here's a link for the live stream of the Dragon Quest event, which starts at 10 pm PST/1 am EST. 200 minutes! :O :O

Dragon Quest is basically the Star Wars of Japan (except without the drastic decline in quality!). It's a cultural touchstone, a "national pastime" and the unveiling of a new game in the series is a pretty big deal.

EDIT: I'm going to keep updating this post. It's been confirmed that today's event concerns Dragon Quest X, eliminating the possibility that Square Enix will incite a riot by only announcing a spinoff.

The guy is holding up the white card for photographers to adjust their cameras to! SO EXCITING.

First trailer. Graphics look really good for the Wii. DQVIII-style, cel-shaded characters. Multiplayer online is a big part of the game, but it's optional. It's not an MMO — it's more akin to Phantasy Star Online, or, well, Dragon Quest IX +1.. Battles look like traditional DQ (first person, turn-based &c.) though few were shown. Subtitle is "Rise of the Five Tribes," and there's five tribes/classes/races to play as. There's also a job system. Logo is two figures standing in a gate.

I'm hearing that it was developed by Square Enix in-house? That's a first for the series.

Demo time. Lots of character customization options. You can build your own house and even tailor your own clothes.

It looks like battles aren't random. And here's a battle that's not first-person. So idunno.

He just said Wii U. OH SHIT

They're pulling a Twilight Princess. Wii version and Wii U version. Satoru Iwata on stage!

Wii and Wii U versions feature will cross-platform play. And you can transfer your characters to the 3DS for viewing + StreetPass.

Well, Nintendo's happy! Shareholders don't seem to be, though. But that might just be Sony dumping their SE stock, haha.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2011-09-05 at 01:27.