View Single Post
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-12-04, 14:08

I am a committed Apple user and continue appreciate their products for both personal and professional use. But...I have a hard time disagreeing with most of the specific points made. Apple is still good, but could be better, and I get the impression that the company is sort of drifting on the development of pretty much everything outside of the iPhone.

I appreciate my iPad - and my new Air 2 serves me well in all sorts of ways - but I do agree that Apple has not really optimized iOS for that platform in ways that I could imagine them doing.

On other fronts, Apple's abandonment of Pro apps for the Mac has been a big disappointment.

Various basic level apps for OS and iOS, like Mail and Calendar, are not bad, but easily could be so much better with refinements. Apple does not seem all that interested in pursuing some fundamental improvements to these.

iTunes which I, like others, use a lot often leaves me frustrated at user interface level.

I like voice interaction with computer devices - I use Dragon quite a bit at work and at home on my computers. Apple seemed to have been moving quickly in providing its own approach to voice control, and I was quite optimistic. But Apple's own dictation solutions, and Siri, seem to have been introduced but not much further developed. They are not at a level where, for me, they are practically usable on a regular basis.

I could go on.

I got the impression that Apple either i) is pursuing a strictly bottom line approach and while some users, like me, find the developments above, or lack thereof, frustrating, Apple has done the math and none of them are necessary to pursue from a $$ point of view or ii) Apple is pursuing a design ethos (on software in particular) that I simply do not appreciate. Maybe it is a bit of both.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2015-12-04 at 15:07.