View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-15, 17:05

All that stuff said, I suppose Disney is going to bring Palpatine back to draw a complete circle, that it was him—and has always been him—directing the dark side of the force. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that, but I do think it is the lazy approach. However, there is also something interesting and fun about it, that Palpatine survived his fall into the bottomless pit (using the force or whatever) and has been influencing everything that has happened, or perhaps just sitting back and letting it all play out whilst only directing the details.

I don't know.

At the same time, it has been recently revealed that George Lucas' original ideas for Episodes 7-9 involved another dimension of force-sensitive beings who controlled the midichlorians from their side of the dimension wall or whatever (I believe they were used in an episode of Clone Wars) and the entire series was set inside that dimension.

Sounds dumb as hell to me.

So, maybe some of the crap sloshing around inside George's head was good (Episodes 4-6 and maybe some other stuff) and the rest was all crap. Perhaps Disney recognized that George was full of crap and set out to rewrite Star Wars without really knowing where it was going. Basically, they had a grand scheme for the Avengers folks, but their ideas for Star Wars were basically incomplete junk with no true direction. Thus, they're just randomly flinging this stuff at the wall trying to find something sticky.

So far, I would say that Rogue One has been their crowning achievement in terms of the quality of the story and the fan support it has gotten. And I think that's the formula: build up the pieces of Star Wars lore that were briefly mentioned in the original trilogy but never went further than a brief mention (this is where Solo messed up, since the Kessel Run was so mind bogglingly bad). Other areas could be the Bothan spies securing plans to Death Star II, Vader hunting down random Jedi, Obi Wan adventures (Disney has committed to this with Ewan McGregor), or for me (and outside the original series) absolutely anything to do with Ahsoka Tano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Well this is just sad. We're just over 30 days from the conclusion/wrap-up of the Skywalker saga(!), and it appears that nobody gives a flaming rip.

About what I'd expect. Thanks, Rian!

Seriously, four years ago we had about a 7,000 page thread leading up to the opening of The Force Awakens...lively discussion, trailer analysis, predictions, debates, etc. Granted, that was before we all knew it would be such an uninspired, soulless "reimagining" of a movie done right the first time, 38 years prior (and before Kennedy turned the second installment over to a demented gnome who was obviously lying about his love of the property).

Would any of you had guessed, 4-5 years ago, that it would be so hard to care about Star Wars? I am on record as being concerned about the rushed trilogy releases and the "something every year" output. As it turns out, even Disney/Lucasfilm finally realized that maybe too much of anything is too much? Just a shame they couldn't have realized all this in 2014 or so, planned out a coherent, three-movie arc, took their time on the story/characters before one inch of film rolled, maybe even *gasp* listened to George a little (he kinda came up with all this stuff, after all), etc.

And then maybe this thread would be 7,000 pages too.

Just sad...
Well, yeah, but you have to remember something very important (and don't take this too personally):

You were a big driving force behind those conversations, and you've been "busy". You added a lot to the conversation in this place and when you aren't here with your long-ass, well-thought-out posts driving discussion, well, it stalled. That's it. Take it for what it's worth. You pop back in, shout a bit, and people start talking. It's a thing you have.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)