View Single Post
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2004-08-08, 21:42

Well, I'm waiting for the editorials to roll out, not so much the current factual news pieces. The fact that "XBOX" is being used rather than "property" or "video game" is the first step in demonizing by brand name.

Manhunt was already pulled in some places when shoddy journalism/panicky speculation asserted that a murderer owned it and was the inspiration for the killing. But then it was found that only the victim owned it, it had nothing to do with the murder.

It's not only games, but baseball bats. I bet any amount of money we'll see bans on selling bats to minors soon. (Not to be confused with the existing movements to ban aluminum bats due to higher injury rates).

We have a panic frenzy mindset in this country. If a guy went on a eye gouging spree with a pen, you can bet they'd be banned (or someone would try). We aren't content to find the reasons for rage or mental illness or apathy or loneliness or depression - the actual causes for violence. Just pump them full of drugs and hide all the sharp/deadly objects.

This is a really weird case. I can see Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, a Matrix meets homoerotic Romeo and Juliet tragi-thrillkill. 2 killers is fairly common. (Henry and Otis). But I don't see getting 4 guys to do this. I can't see how one out of the 3 couldn't say "F'ck this, I'm not going to jail over your frigging XBOX". They should have robbed a bank at least. Dumbass gangsta wannabes.

All crime is stupid but this is the dumbest ever.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by johnq : 2004-08-08 at 21:51.