View Single Post
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-02-13, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
The Xbox 360 has full media streaming capability, either via connection through Windows Media Extender...
I had heard something about this, but my argument is, I'm in IT and I wouldn't have the beginning of an idea what "media extender" is if you hadn't just mentioned it in this context.

I'm primarily a big-box UNIX system geek, but still, I read /., the Reg, news.com, and get and read ZD spam in my mailbox every day. I should be having to go out of my way to avoid a barrage of information about the way to converge all my media into my family room TV...but nope, I have to look at stuff like MythTV configs, price Hauppage boards, etc, all on my own.

If I bring a device into my house and attach it to my wireless home network, there should be crawlers sucking it dry for content and offering it up to the shrine that is my Sony KDL-52XBR4 and associated hardware in an attractive media browser window I can either access via TV or my iPhone, remember the devices with the media, stream it to where ever I am, etc, etc, etc. When my buddy comes over with his iPhone and has his vacation clips with him, if we want to watch his vacation movie, we should just connect his iPhone to my LAN and then turn the TV on... and there should be the option to watch and/or download his movie, just by virtue of having had his device attached to my LAN.

There should be documentation on how to do this filling my in-box... all driven by the cash that can be gained by unobtrusive ads in shopping channel format that I can use to do all my shopping from... from media content to clicking on the Santa's list my grandchildren created and sent me the link to...wedding whateverthehelltheyare's telling me what my nephew's wedding wishes are... etc., sort of like the Wii channel menu I get when I fire up the game when my kids and their wives come over.

And then, Apple should step in and do it right, with an interface my 85 year old mother could not only use, but use to it's fullest extent.

The capability for all this already exists. It's just not in my living room, and the reason for that is, it's not been commercialized, and that's a shame.

real hackers don't use sigs

Last edited by Taskiss : 2009-02-13 at 10:25.