View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-14, 10:46

Sounds about right.

On a somewhat related (Microsoft) note, I'm having a pain of a time installing this Office 2008 SP update. Looking around the Web, it seems to be a widely known thing, resulting in all sorts of issues upon install (assuming you can even get that far), involving rebuilds, reinstalls, tweaked settings you have to reset, long rebuilds, inexplicable processes and odd "helper" apps launching in a loop, etc. I went to one page where a guy listed (then provided the fix) for no fewer than six things that the SP 1 update might do to your system.

Naturally, this is the only app we've had this sort of trouble with. The others on her system installed in minutes (including any recent updates from that company's website afterwards). No, just Office 2008 is being the lone, head-slapping pain-in-the-ass.

Again, I'm stunned.

Oh, wait...no I'm not. It's always something with these guys; nothing's ever just easy and straightforward, or goes totally as expected. That would be asking too much, I guess.

I can't believe these guys "run the world" (might explain a lot, now that I think about it). I wouldn't trust them to set my alarm clock right, for crying out loud. I absolutely hate dealing with anything from them; I really do. I know I'll dick around and lose at least an hour sometime today trying to get this on her machine. I kinda thought I left all that behind, but if it's going to involve them, I guess they're a cross-platform thorn in my side...