Thread: Text editors
View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-09-09, 21:20

I've been "participating" in the beta program for Nova, but I can only say "participating" in the loosest sense because I haven't really been using it. VS Code (or Codium) and PyCharm are my daily drivers for almost all of my coding and text editing both at work and at home. Maybe they just never intended to support Python the way they made it look like they would, but every time I tried to do anything interesting in Nova, it felt like the thing was only half-finished, even into the late builds. It couldn't do smart code/object navigation like PyCharm; it didn't even have convenient in-project filename-based quick search/browsing like VS Code.

To be fair, I haven't tried the most recent beta, but my earlier experiences were so lackluster that I just kind of stopped caring. It looked pretty, but the shine was skin deep.

Maybe I'll go fish out that email and try the latest beta this weekend and share some fresh experiences.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.