View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-14, 09:31

I couldn't find a thread where I've discussed how I feel that some of today's designers don't take advantage of our biological use of muscle memory.

This belief in interface designs that employ physical interfaces (rather than pure reliance on voice interfaces) was buoyed by this quote from an interview with the authors of The Expanse book series (on which the streaming series is based):

“What we’re positing here is that these touchscreens and these kinds of interfaces are robust and work well in these kinds of conditions, where jacking into your brain, maybe not so much? Speech, yelling commands to the ship is cool, but it’s kind of a shitty interface in practice,” he adds.

“Humans interact with the world with their fingertips. There’s millions of years of evolution behind that — our fingers are connected to our brains differently than any other part of us,” Franck chimes in. “When we want to accomplish a thing, our first instinct is to reach out and touch something and manipulate it with their fingers ... so when I see something where people are no longer using their hands to do work, it feels false to me, it’s ignoring the realities of what humans do as biological entities.”

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter