View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-09-15, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
main point is that one of the iPhone's largest potential markets very much relies on a text entry system, and it would a pretty poor decision business-wise to omit one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
T,FTFY
No, I really meant numeric keypad. Changing the system in place because Apple thinks they came up with something better would be, quite frankly, foolish. The numeric keypad's efficiency & speed to size ratio can't be beat.

And a lot of you seem to be forgetting about predictive input (I noticed BuonRotto remembered it.) On my RAZR, which, is actually near the bottom of the UI barrel, if I hit 7 it comes up with an S FIRST, despite it being the last letter.

Predictive works about 90% of the time, but, its easy to correct when it fucks up, especially once you start to remember where it misses. For example, "on" and "no" are the same button combo (66) and I use both frequently. But, once you can touch type with a numpad, you realize when this mix up is going to occur and fix it quickly.

It's not perfect. At all. But its light years faster than a scroll wheel, and more to the point, chronic texters are already used to it.

And finally, SLIDER. If you don't like the numpad you NEVER have to see it. It just makes sense!

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2006-09-15 at 19:04.