Thread: Pokémon GO
View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-07-10, 19:41

My wife and I were just talking about the safety/crime potential aspects of this last night as we were walking around our downtown.

One one hand, you have more people walking around town absorbed by their phone. Are they more likely to be involved in or cause an accident? Are they more likely to be victims of muggings and other crime?

On the other hand, you have more people walking around town putting more eyes and feet out there as local citizens. Are they more likely to affect the social climate in a positive way? Are they more likely to start friendly interactions that wouldn't have triggered otherwise?

No doubt it's a mix of both, but from what I've seen so far, it's been overwhelmingly the latter. Right now the game is getting a ton of traffic and publicity, and the newness will wear off for a lot of people soon enough. I suspect that in a few months, it will probably fall into a smaller niche of rotating dedicated players, and whatever effects we're seeing will fall off with it.

Meanwhile, it's still a lot of fun finding these little pocket monsters wherever you go.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.