Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-11, 18:15

I didn't think about that. You could mix and match the bands, assuming the connection was the same? But different colors or whatever.

Everyone's got $349 in mind (that's all I thought/heard on Tuesday), but that's just the starting price. It could get up there pretty quick.

I'd have to believe, referring to Messiah's question above, that you buy a watch and it'll come with a basic band that pairs nicely with that style (maybe just black). But if you want something special or funky, that's where the extra money comes in? Because it would be a gazillion times easier for Apple to just ship all these things out with a black (or silver, depending) band for each of the three styles. But the accessory rack at the Apple Store, Target, Best Buy, etc. is where you'd see all the various bands for sale. I can't imagine the logistics and hassle of shipping these many sport ones, with this many green, that many blue, then the gold one with various combinations, etc. They're better off just providing a barebones, but nice, one...and then raking in all the money from everyone looking to customize. I imagine there will be users who may own multiple bands for different looks or moods (assuming they're reasonably priced).

What about third parties? Will Apple Watch bands be the iPhone cases of 2015 and beyond? As long as you can make connector that slides into that groove on the watch, I assume third-party bands are possible? There are no electronics or sensors in the bands themselves, as far as I know. Imagine that industry, should these things truly take off.

Apple could always stay one step ahead of it all by slightly tweaking the connection specs with each revision (a third-party band from 2015 wouldn't fit the 2016 Rev. B iWatch because Apple changed the size and shape of how the band connects to the watch, etc.