View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-19, 14:35

That all makes very good sense, and there is a lot of truth to it. Still, beyond just branding, the demographic changed. We watched it happen. All those original MacBook Air customers were no longer interested in paying a premium for the smallest thing, because the smallest thing is no longer associated with the "premium, but small" concept. I'm just not sure customers are thinking down that road any longer. People have gotten used to thin and light, so sitting next to the other systems what the 12" MacBook looks like is "cheaper because it is smaller". I know that seems weird, but that's the sense I've gotten from people's reactions.

"Why is the little one so much more expensive?"

"Because miniaturization and blah, blah, blah."

"Oh, whatever. Give me an Air."

Even the business class guys with money that are all looking for the cool gadgets were willing to pay the same price for a far more powerful 13" Pro. The 12" MacBook just didn't have the same "sizzle" that the original MacBook Air had.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)