View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-19, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I feel like the original sin of Apple's laptop line, when it came to not having clear distinctions between the models, was when they decided to take the 2008 aluminum unibody MacBook and re-brand it as a 13-inch MacBook Pro. Because it really wasn't, and that set this weird precedent where you "had" to be able to get a MacBook Pro for $200 more than the base MacBook (or later, the MacBook Air).
Yeah, that was also interesting.

And… perhaps also yet another case of Intel not quite delivering the parts Apple was hoping for (or, from a different perspective, where Apple is screwing themselves).

I think Apple would prefer to have a line-up more like it used to be, pre-unibody, where there's a non-Pro ~13-inch machine (kind of like the Air now), but also a Pro that's roughly the same power as the 15-inch. And they just can't do that; they thermals don't work out that way. I think they'd prefer (or at least it'd make more sense) for the 13-inch Pro to be significantly more powerful and closer to the 15-inch, but they just can't make the thermals work. That's in part on them, of course. They could make the 13-inch Pro thicker if they really wanted to. Like the 12-inch PowerBook used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
There probably shouldn't be essentially three different MacBook Pros,
Yuuuuup.

The line-up makes quite a bit more sense this summer, but it's still pretty weird.