View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 19:36

That's just it. I think it's a bit of a ways out. Smaller, sleeker, when more people in the world are born/brought up into this sort of stuff. It'll take my generation and older going away and for my 16-18 year old niece and nephew to be in their 30's and calling the shots, etc.

It's probably the future. I just don't think "the future" is 2023 or anyone soon thereafter.

It'll have to find That Thing that makes it all come together, make complete sense and a "well, of course...this is exactly what all the others were missing!" type of product. I don't think that's been hit on/figured out just yet. It might be a whole new era of gaming?

I guess, in all my old man-ness, there's part of me that just can't shake the feeling of "do we really need more people walking around, distracted from everything/everyone around then because their heads are shoved even farther up their iHole than they already have been for the past decade?"

That's probably the basis of any misgivings or "meh" on my part. I see what a truly great, transformative device has done to the world (the good and the not so). The ability to be super-distracted by something like this raises some big questions. The toothpaste is out on the tube on some of these fronts, so now we've got an entire planet full of people driving around (motorcycles included) screwing with their phones and not paying attention to the here-and-now, or the task at hand. Even more of that just kinda scares me a little because I know it'll be abused/misused. Human nature being what it is and all.

We will reach a point - and it may be long after I'm gone - where going to sit by a lake or just flying a kite in an open field will seems like the most "edgy", subversive thing imaginable. "I read somewhere they used to do this in the old days, back in the 1990's...". Spending a Saturday afternoon using nothing electronic/digital will be the 2051 equivalent of all the hipsters and their vinyl record collections.