View Single Post
dglow

2022-11-09, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Sounds interesting. Whether we get RAM and HD expansion in the Pro is the million-dollar question.
Otherwise, what's the point? The Studio Ultra is already faster than the current Pro.
Agreed. Definitionally a Mac Pro must offer memory and internal PCIe expansion.

Quote:
I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't yet come up with a 'tower' expansion pedestal that the Studio can sit atop.
Sonnet sells the rack mount equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Exactly. The reason I think they'll do something special with the RAM, the GPU, or something is that I don't think "like the Studio, but twice the cores" or "like the Studio, but internal PCIe expansion" is worth it.
Until Apple Silicon there hasn’t been a Studio to compare against – the closest we’ve gotten was the G4 Cube. One could say the Studio is just the Mac Pro without internal PCIe and RAM expansion. Is the Studio worth it? Sure, for some users. And similar for the Mac Pro.

GPU is the real wildcard IMO, both structurally and strategically for Apple. If they can outperform AMD chips there’s not much to reason support 3rd-party cards. Some pros might want NVidia cards for CUDA compute, but Apple said no to that market long ago. That leaves Apple GPUs exclusively for Apple machines. Whether Apple does its own GPU-only expansion module is the $M question.

Last edited by dglow : 2022-11-09 at 09:59.